Thursday, July 17, 2008

I Should Not Have Just Watched That

I just finished watching Hopkins, mine and Marcus' new favorite tv show, and honestly, I should not have just watched it.

Preface: Hopkins is a real-life documentary type tv show about Doctors and patients at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Tonight's episode included a story about a two year old boy whose parents took him into the Doctor's and ended up finding out his heart had grown too big for his body and he could not stay alive with it. While they were treating him initially he went into cardiac arrest and had complete heart failure. The Doctor's very luckily were able to get the heart pumping again but he was unstable and needed a transplant ASAP in order to have any chance at survival. After one false alarm they were able to get a healthy heart for him and he is now doing just fine.

Here is why I should not have watched that: I am one week away from having my second little boy and have all the crazy pregnancy hormones raging through my body. I also have a little two year old boy who has always been healthy (just like the little boy on tv had been) and throughout the whole show I sat and thought "Oh goodness...what if that suddenly happened to Connor?" Needless to say I bawled through the whole thing and then went in and kissed and hugged my little guy (who should have been sound-asleep but was still wide awake) like crazy (Marcus did too).

I now have my wits back about me and know that although a wide variety of tragedies could happen to my boys there's no need to go nuts imagining what it would be like if one did. But in order to stay level-headed and not worry, I really should not be watching little healthy two year olds all of a sudden almost die on tv.

3 comments:

Joy said...

Yeah, 7 days left...I bet that makes you happy! so did you find the stroller yet? it looks like a good one!

Cotton Queen said...

Yeah I was the same way watching ER. Not good on the emotions. Can't wait to see you guys and good luck next Friday. Can't wait!!

Wonder Woman said...

My mouth dropped when I read that his heart had grown too big for his body. Are you KIDDING me? That's CRAZY!! I'd be flipping out and I'm not pregnant!

Good luck this next week!